The largest US banks are private commercial enterprises serving American businesses and significant international transactions. Their activity areas are very diverse. But many of them are interconnected and cooperate with other organizations.
- JPMorgan Chase is number one among the 15 largest US banks
- Bank of America
- Citigroup Inc.
- Wells Fargo & Company
- Goldman Sachs Group
- Morgan Stanley
- U.S. Bancorp
- Financial Corporation Trust
- PNC Financial Services Group
- Bank of New York Mellon
- Financial Corporation Capital One
- State Street Corporation
- American Express (Amex)
- Ellie Financial
- Citizens Financial Group
JPMorgan Chase is number one among the 15 largest US banks
- Head office is quartered in the city of New York
- Asset value — USD3,246,076,000
It is the leading depository institution among the Big Four US banks structurally representing a conglomerate of several companies. This entity receives its main income from the following operations:
- The Service granted to the population and small businesses through branches and terminals. Clients of this group receive consumer loans, real estate loans, make deposits, receive payment cards, and other banking products
- The service to corporate clients. These are lending, investment, treasury services to big businesses
- The operations with clients’ resources. The Bank assumes obligations for the placement of customers’ securities (shares, bonds, etc.) and the execution of transactions with them
Bank of America
- Head office is in Charlotte, North Carolina
- Total resources value is USD2,739,684,000
The bank is included in the “Big Four” and is systemically important for the USA. The institution operates primarily in the US, although it has a network of overseas offices. It owns a huge number of other companies’ shares.
The main areas of work:
- Retail banking services. This includes most of the loans to individuals and small businesses, accepting deposits, ATM network, access online, and banking mobile applications
- Management of property of big clients. Custody services and trust management of funds.
- Serving international transactions. In addition to payments, advising customers, placing their non-cash resources, etc
- Trading in stock markets
- Significant number of other operations. Among many other transactions — the resale of risky mortgage contracts
- Head office is quartered in New York
- Total estimated value — USD2 234.5 million
- It is one of the most famous banking institutions in the United States, which plays an important role in the national financial sector and about 160 other countries on different continents. In the US, Canada, and Mexico, Citigroup is active in retail banking for households and small businesses.
- Citigroup Inc. is the world leader in the issuance of credit cards. Of particular importance is the issue of debit and credit cards around the world. The cards provide the bulk of overseas retail revenue.
- It also serves to institutional clients — corporations and government agencies. Citibank holds a relatively small portfolio of other securities. Most of the revenue comes from the domestic market, but its share is quite significant in foreign ones.
Wells Fargo & Company
- Head office is located in San Francisco
- Total value — USD1,947,672,000
Wells Fargo Corporation, one of the biggest banking conglomerates in the US, owns shares in financial enterprises, manufacturing, and technology corporations, and is active in Canada. The main areas of work:
- Retail banking services
- Customer resources management
- Transactions with shares of other companies
Goldman Sachs Group
- The main office is located in New York
- Total assets — USD1,132,059,000
Goldman Sachs makes more than half of its profits in America, about a quarter in Europe, Africa, the Middle East, and about 1/6 in Asia. This institution has been working since 1869 mainly with customers and carries out the following main activities:
- Investment services. The Group is consulting investors and participates in operations on the stock market
- It supports institutional clients in the stock markets, foreign exchange transactions, and exchange trading. This activity brings the greatest profit, thanks to which it acquires more than 2/3 of its potential
- An investment in an existing business, direct lending or buying stocks or bonds
- Client asset management
- Head office is in the city of New York
- Total assets — USD955,940,000
- Currently, Morgan Stanley’s core activity is investing and trading in securities.
- Morgan Stanley is engaged in transactions with securities, provides services for increasing capitalization, risk management, consulting, and asset management for private investors. He also owns mostly technological securities of other companies.
- Morgan Stanley mainly operates on the stock market, so it makes no sense to divide its work into domestic and international since the leading securities issuers and the exchanges have long gone beyond the borders of the countries.
- Head office is in Minneapolis, Minnesota
- Total assets — USD540, 455,000
It is a banking corporation with a wide range of activities in the national market. A great part of its resources is issued loans. The main income is interest on loans. The most important sectors of work:
- Serving large and medium-sized businesses: making payments, loans, representing their interests in financial markets
- Retail banking, i.e. services to the population and small business: lending, accepting deposits, operations with banking cards
- Investment management
Financial Corporation Trust
- Headquarters is in Charlotte, North Carolina
- Assets — USD499, 183, 000
It is one of the ten biggest banks in America. It offers companies and the public a wide range of traditional banking products. The Corporation has many branches in the US eastern regions.
- The main activity is lending to legal entities and individuals. It is engaged in insurance, accepting deposits, and is the leader in its volume. The main income is interest on loans.
PNC Financial Services Group
- The company is headquartered in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
- Assets — USD461,817,000
A company operating in several segments of the profile market:
- Serving retail customers through a wide ATM network
- Small business lending and issuance of Visa cards
- Lending to companies in the USA, Canada, and the UK
- Mortgage lending. PNC has profile offices throughout the country
- Institutional banking services, consultations
Bank of New York Mellon
- Head office is in New York
- Total assets — USD428,398,000
The main areas of work:
- The work is focused on the stock market and money transactions
- This company is the greatest funds depository in the world. Also, provides investment, brokerage, clearing services and conducts foreign exchange transactions. Most of the operations and revenues are located on the national territory. But the bank has a permanent presence in many countries on all continents
Financial Corporation Capital One
- Headquarters is in Tyson’s Corner, Virginia
- Assets USD421,883,000
- This Corporation specializes in two retail loan products and generates significant revenues from them in the US, Canada, and the UK
- Capital One is the second national large-scale car loan provider and
- one of the five leaders in issuing Visa and Mastercard cards
State Street Corporation
- Head office is in Boston, Massachusetts
- Total assets — USD272,075,000
- The Corporation deals with securities and provides custody services. In this respect, its work is similar to that of the above-mentioned specialized institutions. The Corporation does not offer retail products. He owns shares in mainly technology companies.
American Express (Amex)
- Head office is in New York
- Total assets — USD259,187,000
American Express doesn’t need any presentation. He earns income from operations with his products in the United States and other countries. Its main products are famous all over the world:
- Payment cards
- Credit cards
- Traveler’s checks
- Head office is in Detroit, Michigan
- Total assets are USD185,270,000
The main activity is buying cars and related services. Ellie Financial has not got traditional offices. It operates in a virtual format:
- Car loans
- Carrying out auctions for the car sale
- Related insurance services
- Mortgage lending
- Working with exchanges
Citizens Financial Group
- Headquarters is in Providence, Rhode Island
- Total Assets — USD179,228,000
From 1988 to 2015, this Group was owned by the British Royal Bank of Scotland Group. However, after incurring losses, the British owner sold the company by placing its shares on the exchange. At its peak in 2015, Citizens Financial Group served customers primarily in the country eastern parts through 1,200 branches and 3,200 ATMs.
- Full range of banking services for individuals. For this, its branches were open in supermarkets
- Lending, funds placement, servicing international small transactions.
- Work with corporate clients. Support for settlements and management of their investments
The institution received negative publicity from the 2015 investigation into the incomplete funds crediting to customer accounts. Then there was an accusation of supporting Donald Trump with a loan of about USD3 million. But all the problems have passed, conflicts were resolved, and the Citizens Financial Group continues expanding its work.